Apple Crumble Squares

Apple Crumble Squares

Those close to me would know that I have been craving all things apples of late – apple crumbles, apple pies, apple tarts..you name it! I finally got around to satiating my craving after putting it off for weeks. It was a toss up between Jamie Oliver’s Apple Pie and this recipe that I bookmarked quite some time ago. The crumble recipe won this round, largely due to my sheer laziness in making pastry from scratch!
(shredded apples, dry ingredients, wet ingredients, crumble and crust)

(Top: shredded apple and crust; Below: crumble and apple layer )
Leaving that aside, I must say that whoever came up with the idea for Apple Crumble Squares is a friggin’ genius! Warm apple and cinnamon crumble in a convenient form which to me is the perfect on-the-go dessert. (It’s been what’s keeping me sane during my painfully long commute to work this week! And yes, I am guilty of having dessert as breakfast and believe me, having sugar whilst stuck in traffic can turn a grumpy driver into a cheerful, positive-I’ll –sing-along-to-Beiber- because-his-new-song-is-awesome type of individual. You have been warned!
 (Evenly spread the apple mixture to cover the entire surface of the crust;  sprinkle crumble generously all over the apples) 
The only difference I made to the original recipe was to reduce the amount of sugar used as some of my family members found the squares to be a tad bit too sweet. If you think that the adapted amount may still be too much, you can perhaps use green apples which will help cut through the sweetness.
Oh I also added an additional teaspoon of cinnamon to the apple mixture, well because..I love cinnamon! 



Apple Crumble Squares

Adapted from VeryCulinary.com

Makes 9-12 squares depending on how you cut it

Ingredients

380 g plain flour
160 g brown sugar
25 g granulated sugar + 50 g granulated sugar
2 tsp cinnamon + 1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
225 g cold butter, cubed
4 medium sized apples, peeled, cored and grated
2 tsp cornflour
Juice of half a lemon

Method
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 9" by 13" pan and set aside.
  2. Peel, core and grate the apples. Pour lemon juice over the apples to prevent browning.
  3. Mix plain flour, 25 g granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
  4. Work in the butter and egg with your hands until the dough resembles pea-sized clumps. Make sure no plain flour remains at the bottom of the bowl.
  5. Press half the dough into the bottom of the pan ensuring that it is evenly spread out.
  6. In a separate bowl, squeeze all the excess juice from the apples and  mix in the 50 g of sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and cornflour.
  7. Spread the apple mixture all over the crust layer evenly.
  8. Sprinkle the remaining dough all over the apple layer.
  9. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top layer turns golden brown.
  10. Cool completely before cutting into squares.